Linux's "magic" sysrq

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Sat Feb 9 22:06:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 18:46:06 -0600, Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading the comments on a slashdot article about moving kernel
> console to userland.  One thing that came up with Linux's sysrq support,
> documented at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key to see the
> abilities.  I'd never heard of this, and I doubt FreeBSD has anything
> similar, but have I just never heard of it?

It's one of the few things I actually miss from Linux. Server hose?
Alt+SysRq+RSEIUB (raising skinny elephants is utterly beautiful) and you
have killed all processes, synced data to disk, unmounted drives, and
rebooted the server.

They're going to lose a lot more than the Magic SysRq if they move to
userland...