mount: /dev/da0p1: Invalid argument

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 9 12:08:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:30:51 GMT, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> So what is the advice for transferring data
> via USB in such cases? Any other gpart partition
> I could use?

Use "the most universal file system" which isn't even a
file system: tar.

First, create a tar archive (not a _file_!) to the USB
media as if it was a tape. On the sparc machine:

	# tar cvf /dev/da0 <your stuff>

You can add compression flags like z and j if you need.
To list what you've got, use "tar t" accordingly.

Then uncompress directly from the media on the non-sparc
machine:

	# tar xvf /dev/da0

See "man tar" for other options you might want to add.
Also note that in this case, no file system is involved,
so you can't mount anything here.

> In the end I burned a CD with the files in question,
> but it's a bit of a waste, as I only need to
> move over several KB of data (wireless setup).

That's true. Don't you have any floppies at hand? ;-)

(Note: The tar approach also works on floppies, and even
across OS borders, e. g. between Solaris and Linux.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany