which pkg repository with 9.1

Mark Blackman mark at exonetric.com
Mon Feb 4 19:51:30 UTC 2013

On 4 Feb 2013, at 18:53, mhca12 wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM, mhca12 wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM, mhca12 wrote:
>>> I have just installed 9.1 amd64 on a test machine and wanted
>>> to install rsync. Is pkgng the right choice and if so is there
>>> a handy guide how to get started or should I use pkg_add -r?
>>>
>>> Is this any different for i386? It used to be that there's
>>> no i386 pkgng repository.
>>
>> I ran pkg and it fetched and setup pkgng. That was easy.
>
> Is it possible that the November 2012 security incident means
> there's still no installable packaged via pkg-install?
> I was going to install rsync.

If you're interested, we've set up an unofficial but public pkgng format repository at

http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng

To use these packages, just set your PACKAGESITE variable in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf like so,

PACKAGESITE	    : http://mirror.exonetric.net/pub/pkgng/${ABI}/latest

These have FreeBSD 8 and 9, i386 and amd64 kernel pkgng format packages for the whole ports tree,
build failures notwithstanding.

You'll have to explicitly make the decision to trust or not these
builds, of course, but all are welcome to use them until the official
ones are available.

- Mark