vfs.root.mountfrom with geli

mhca12 mhca12 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 18:50:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

I followed the guide on dan.me.uk to install FreeBSD 9.1 amd64
but I get always stuck because the kernel doesn't ask me for the
passphrase and doesn't find the /dev/gpt/enc.eli where enc is the
label I gave to the root partition. I also tried with /dev/ada0p3.eli
without success.

Tried the following two /boot/loader.config variations:
1:
geom_eli_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom=”ufs:/dev/gpt/enc.eli”
2:
geom_eli_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom=”ufs:/dev/ada0p3.eli”

I can geli attach /dev/gpt/enc or /dev/ada0p3 successfully from
the livecd.

Can you advise me what I might have done wrong or what I
should try?

https://www.dan.me.uk/blog/2012/05/05/full-disk-encryption-in-freebsd-9-x-well-almost/
http://namor.userpage.fu-berlin.de/howto_fbsd9_encrypted_ufs.html