acroread9 crashed immediately after starting

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 9 06:57:55 UTC 2013

Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote
  in <20131205060844.75e94b4b at scorpio>:

je> System: FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #0 r257580 amd64
je>
je> I have "acroread9" installed because I write and frequently need to fill
je> in online interactive PDF forms.
je>
je> I have Adobe Pro XI installed on a Windows 8.1 machine to create and
je> modify interactive PDFs. It is the only program that I am aware of that
je> can accomplish this. I was trying to to insure that the forms work
je> correctly under different OSs. Using Firefox and its built in PDF
je> program fails miserably. It cannot utilize the interactive properties of
je> the PDF. I installed acroread9, but it simply crashes a few seconds
je> after it starts.
je>
je> $ acroread9
je> Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
je> Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
je> Fontconfig warning: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
je> Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
je> Fontconfig error: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
je> Fontconfig warning: "/usr/local/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
je> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'RSException'
je>
je> This is line 70:       </matrix>
je> This is line 78:       </edit>
je>
je> >From the /var/message log:
je>
je> Dec  5 05:45:33 scorpio kernel: linux: pid 31377 (acroread): syscall inotify_init not implemented
je>
je> Is this a known issue? If so, then why is the application in the ports
je> system if it will not run? If not, what do I have to do to get it to
je> run successfully?

 RSException happens if you installed the Adobe Reader port and
 acroreadwrapper as a dependency but linux_adobe kernel module is not
 loaded yet.  Rebooting, or manually running "service linux_adobe
 start" loads the module.

 Please note that Adobe Reader has several stability issues even after
 the kernel module is loaded.

-- Hiroki