php problems

mikel king mikel.king at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 14:54:44 UTC 2013

On Aug 5, 2013, at 11:33 PM, Mark Moellering <mark at msen.com> wrote:

> A few years ago (2011) I set up an email system for a small internet based company.  I used postfix with a mysql backend for virtual accounts.  I also set up apache to test a php based webmail front-end.
> I set up several php scripts that would run from cron that would query a database and look for new email account requests and then do a variety of tasks to get everything set up properly.
> After I left, someone else made modifications to the system and things stopped working properly.  A few months ago I was asked to try and get things working again.
>
> I discovered that all php scripts now generate a seg fault.
>
> I tried a simple "hello world" type program
> the actual code is :
> <?php
> echo "test"
> ?>
> and the output was;
>
> testsegmentation fault
>
> The system is FreeBSD 8.2 and php 5.3
>
> If anyone has any idea of what changes might have been made that could cause this, please let me know.  My other thought was to try reinstalling / upgrading php.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mark Moellering

Hey Mark,

Do you have a backup/alternative system you can test the code on? In lieu of that I would seriously consider rebuilding php. After you get it working it would be worth also considering upgrading to 55.

Also make a complete revision backup of the code and config files once you get it working, this will save a lot of hair if the company in question hires someone else to tweak things in the future…

Cheers,
Mikel