Anyone Tried to use iPXE to boot with iSCSI?

Bill Tillman btillman99 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 00:45:22 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: dweimer <dweimer at dweimer.net>
To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:53 AM
Subject: Anyone Tried to use iPXE to boot with iSCSI?

I was just trying some proof of concept testing to see if I could get a system booting with no local disk using iSCSI running from my FreeNAS box.

I got started, by first booting a 9.1-RC1 CD, into live CD, created a /tmp/iscsi.conf used kldload to load the iscsi initiator, connected to the target, created a gpt boot partition, swap partition and just a single / volume using remianing space.  Copied the bootcode, created the file system, extracted the system etc.  Created a loader.conf file, added the iscsi_initiator_load="YES" option, copied my /tmp/iscsi.conf file to the new file system at /etc/iscsi.conf created a /etc/fstab file using the gpart labels to mount / and swap partitions.

Booted the system from the iPXE.iso, ran the necessary configuration options, connected to the iscsi volume, and booted from it.  It does launch the bootcode, as expected, and then breaks failing to mount root.

Whoch I actually expected, I have proved I can install to an iSCSI volume, I can connect to that iSCSI volume prior to loading the kernel, and load the kernel from it.

What I can't seem to find any information on is how to mount iSCSI volumes at boot on FreeBSD, so that the kernel can mount the root partition.  Does anyone have any idea how to do this, or if its even possible?

-- Thanks,
   Dean E. Weimer
   http://www.dweimer.net/