NFS Install

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Sep 13 23:03:55 UTC 2012

Hi Gardner

Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:29:47 -0400, Gardner Bell wrote:
> > What I'm wanting to do is build/installworld from my workstation to a
> > remote machine but both have different /etc/src.conf and kernel
> > configuration files.  Is there a way to define seperate files so I can
> > perform this upgrade without any errors?

I fairly often do make installs over amd+nfs,
a few gotchas to avoid getting caught on:
- I saw my link count break in /rescue so du exploded
	(up by presumably about (137-1 x 4.7M )
  (Cant remember why, I just fixed it)
- Chflags bit me (maybe I didnt have the right stuff in
  /etc/exports on target. (I hate chflags. & often run chflags -R noschg / )
- If both might be i386, & target might < 686 eg 586 etc
  avoid source host having any files lurking in /usr/obj
  that were built while /etc/make.conf (& included files)
  had a CFLAGS += -march=i686

Maybe practice on a local host first, where you can reach reset knob.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".