Swapped memory limited to about 500MB for a process ?

Mickaël Canévet canevet at embl.fr
Mon Sep 10 09:25:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I was impacted by a memory leak that has been fixed by this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/namei-leak.patch

What I noticed when the server was paging is that it seems that only
about 500MB of my 4GB swap partition was used before crashing. I was
wondering why it didn't take the whole 4GB up to the crash of the server
because of lake of memory (that would let me more time to react).

Is there such king of setting that prevent a process to put more then
500MB of data in swap ?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Mickaël Canévet