DVD OPC errors with growisofs

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 11 02:06:08 UTC 2012

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Fabian Keil wrote:

> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using growisofs to write DVDs of backup files.  Some combinations of
>> older drives and newer media give ":-( unable to PERFORM OPC:
>> Input/output error".
>
> If you are concerned about this, you could try cdrecord
> to see if it makes a difference.
>
>> Can limiting write speed avoid these errors?
>
> That depends on both the drive and the media.
> It's also possible that it makes matters worse, though.
>
> It's a myth that reducing speed guarantees better results.
>
>>                                               And what ways are there to
>> detect the fastest speed supported by both drive and media?
>
> The drive is supposed to figure it out on its own.
>
> If your drive supports it, you can use readcd to measure how
> well burned media can be read and do a couple of experiments
> with various burn speeds to see if it affects the results for
> your drives and the media you care about.

The plot thickens.  These OPC errors appeared on several older (2006)
IDE DVD drives connected through various USB to IDE adapters.  Connected
to an actual IDE controller, no errors.  The USB system not passing
something through that it should, maybe.  Or possibly the USB to IDE
hardware, but that seems less likely.