wine-fbsd64 -- no longer in ports

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:33:39 UTC 2012

any
19.11.2012 15:03, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Hexing <hexhexing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> perryh at pluto.rain.com (Perry Hutchison) writes:

>>> Ordinarily, packages are created by building ports.
>>> If this one is an exception, how is it created?
>>
>> I guess that just remove it and install /usr/ports/emulators/wine or
>> /usr/ports/emulators/wine-devel would be OK.
>
> Nope, not for amd64:
>
> % grep 'ONLY_FOR_ARCHS' /usr/ports/emulators/wine/Makefile
> ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386
> % grep 'ONLY_FOR_ARCHS' /usr/ports/emulators/wine-devel/Makefile
> ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386
>
> The wine and wine-devel ports won't even compile on amd64.
>
> There was some guy who claims to have managed creating a
> binary _package_ for amd64 somehow, and wo sent periodic
> announcement updates about to this list. I don't know if it was
> legit or not: I never install stuff bypassing ports. But apparently,
> he didn't create a _port_, nor did he modify/enhance the current
> i386-only wine ports.

He does created a port but didn't like to commit it into ports as this
one gobbles all libraries that wine depend upon from local system and
other installed ports and installs them as part of wine-fbsd64. And this
is not good from a security/maintainability perspective yet it gives
everyone a choice to use wine on amd64 machine. The port is freely
available and regularly updated on mediafire with guides on how someone
can make this package himself without downloading binaries compiled by
some third party.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.