Audio CD issue -- most everything but noise

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu May 31 11:54:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 00:38:46 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> The cd mounts a regular file system ok and audio generally works
> ok -- playing from a file works.

You're sure it's a normal audio CD? How actually is one supposed
to mount audio CDs? They're _audio_ CD format, no ISO-9660 file
system on them...?

> Successive status requests look like it is progressing through
> the CD just fine.

Does the CD drive maybe have an earphone connector so you
can test if anything is output? I know most modern drives
don't come with this connector anymore.

> The CD does not have any direct to mobo audio wire, only the ATA cable.
> I'm assuming fbsd gets the audio down the ata cable, correct?

As far as I remember... NO.

I've been using FreeBSD with working CD audio in the past,
but I always had the wire installed (in many different
constellations, such as with using SCSI drives, using an
individual sound card, or having multiple line-ins on
the main board). _This_ method did always work.

Just to make sure, check your mixer settings. Yes I know,
it's stupid to emphasize it, but _I_ have been fallen
into that trap already. :-)

	Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
	Mixer pcm      is currently set to  50:50
	Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0

In _such_ a situation, missing sound is nothing special.

> Thanks for any helpful hints, I'm totally confused.

The FreeBSD ATAPI subsystem has been done many changes to
in the recent years. Maybe CD-Audio functionality has been
lost during that way? It's not the first time it's being
discussed on list...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany