kde4 on 8.3 and laptop

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed May 30 15:16:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Hi,
> Reference:
>> From:		"Brian W." <brian at brianwhalen.net>
>> Date:		Tue, 29 May 2012 22:48:20 -0700
>> Message-id:	<CADV=szWZM0_nL-WO0YQjUWSywDtHSCunNnzLCBhbFP56sraEgg at mail.gmail.com>
>
> "Brian W." wrote:

>> login,
>> gone
>> cli

>> works,
>> value).

>>> I don't know about the mouse dieing.  I'm running 9.0 and I've seen that
>> once or twice when first setting up X.  You don't need to reboot.  Do
> <alt><Fn> to switch to a different vty.  Log in on that vty, do a ps to
>> find the process you used to start kdm, (ps -ax | grep kdm) and kill -TERM
>> that process.  That should get you back to a regular prompt on the original
>> vty.  Do <alt><F1> to go back to that screen.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>
>> Ctr-alt-shift-backspace has also killed many a stuck x session.
>
> & you can also, from another host (perhaps also running X,
> so you still have full convenience/comfort :-) do an
> 	 rlogin or ssh or telnet stuckhost
> & then do
> 	ps -laxww > /tmp/t ; vi /tmp/t
> 		look at the columns PID & PPID (parent of Process ID)
> 	ls -ltr /var/log
> not only to find & kill stuck stuff, but to analyse what is getting stuck,
> failing, & what is called from where, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

If you have not, look at .xsession-errors, Xorg.0.log, and kdm's log. All this
can be done via ssh of course and is much easier to do that way with a working
GUI et all.

Flop the hal setttings, e.g. off if on and vise versa. Also you can try xdm and
startx to see if you get any different symptoms. My last idea is to use tmw with
xdm or startx. If you still get the error at least you know its Xorg and not
kde.