How Do I Remove Clang

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 07:49:20 UTC 2012

On 29/05/2012 08:27, Thomas D. Dean wrote:
>> uname -a
> FreeBSD P9X79.tddhome 9.0-STABLE FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE #2: Fri May 11
> 20:41:54 PDT 2012     tomdean at P9X79.tddhome:/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

Hmmm... normally this sort of question is asked in exactly the opposite
sense.  I shall trust that it is not asked ironically and answer at face
value.

> I want to remove clang from my system and stick with gcc.

Set WITHOUT_CLANG=yes in /etc/src.conf and do a normal buildworld cycle
plus 'make delete-old'

See src.conf(5) for more details.

Or just do nothing: gcc is still the default compiler on 9.0, and you
need positive action to tweak /etc/make.conf to enable clang.

> I do not want any code I produce to have a non-GPL license.

That's not actually affected by using clang as your compiler.  It's BSD
licensed, and doesn't have any "viral" clauses, so your code can be
licensed as you see fit.  Similarly the runtime bits of the system are
BSD licensed and even though they are linked into any executables you
produce, you can release the result under whatever terms you see fit
other than not claiming authorship / copyright on material you didn't
yourself produce.

> Do I need to regress to 8.3?  Or, will that be back-fit with clang also?

No.  I think you can update to 9.1 without such concerns as well, but
10.x could well be a different matter.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--