Can't get irc/inspircd to build, any clues?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 28 15:41:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012 08:41:44 -0400, Howard Leadmon wrote:
>  I just took a look and granted I was on version 2.0.5 (I am also on amd64,
> so not x86) and there is no
> /usr/ports/irc/inspircd/work/InspIRCd-2.0.2/BSDmakefile present at that
> path.   So I then went to the inspircd.org site and downloaded both the
> 2.0.5 and 2.0.2 archives, and again I see no BSDmakefile.

I don't see any FreeBSD sources on their download page,
https://github.com/inspircd/inspircd/downloads. I think
it's the usual Linux source packages (haven't looked in
detail, I admit).

>  Is there some command that is called, or something performed that creates
> this BSDmakefile??   If so, maybe on amd64 this isn't working.

Erm... just to get that right: You are _not_ using the
sources obtained via ports collection, instead you try
to compile Linux source code?

That won't work.

FreeBSD != Linux. Linux sources typically don't compile.
That's why applications need to be ported, that's what
is in the ports collection. You should _never_ need to
download stuff from the web.

First check your /usr/ports/irc/inspircd/Makefile. It
should indicate version 2.0.5. Then do

	# make clean

to make sure there's nothing "unusual" left. Then go
step by step. First check if the sources will be
obtained correctly:

	# make fetch

Then extract the sources:

	# make extract

The sources will also be checked for a checksum match,
this makes sure the obtained sources are good. The file
/usr/ports/irc/inspircd/work/InspIRCd-2.0.5/BSDmakefile
should now be present.

As a next step, set your options:

	# make config

And if this has worked, you can actually start to build
from that sources:

	# make

If done, install it:

	# make install

By the way, using a port management tool would have the
same effect, it's just more comfortable, but offers less
"step by step diagnostics". A command like

	# portmaster irc/inspircd

would install from source. Note that the port management
tool would call all the required steps automatically. I
suggested the "step by step" method only to see where the
problem occurs (because there are more than one point that
can go wrong).

If everything fails, just try to install from a precompiled
binary package:

	# pkg_add -r inspircd

Maybe such a package is present (haven't checked).

I hope I didn't misunderstand you, but allow me to repeat:
You cannot use Linux sources with the ports collection.
The ports collection has automated fetching, extracting,
configuring and building mechanisms. You should use them.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany