xorg crashes after ports-wide update, fontconfig the culprit?

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Fri May 25 21:05:06 UTC 2012

Having done a portmaster -a rendered my system virtually unusable, Xorg
kept crashing when opening claws-mail, firefox and thunderbird, opera
kept chrashing in a random fashion, too.

Quod googelet "x11 crash site:freebsd.org" and narrowing down the
results for to the last week, I found two references, i.e.,
1) http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=178234 and
2) http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=178014.

Having implemented 2) via portdowngrade to fontconfig-2.8.0_2,1 seems to
have solved the crashing issues for opera and claws, firefox and
thunderbird are waiting to be compiled.

Has anyone observed similar issues, can anyone back my suspicion about
fontconfig or show me how to prove it and wouldn't a note on UPDATING be
in order?

Thanks for your comments, cheers and have a nice weekend,
--
Christopher
TZ GMT +2