ZFS mounting order

Goran Lowkrantz goran.lowkrantz at ismobile.com
Sun May 20 20:25:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

Assuming that you are using some version of diskless (man diskless), I
build NAS boxes using NanoBSD (man nanobsd) and in that setup, I need to
move the cache from /boot/zfs to /etc/zfscache so the cache can be mapped
to the files copied to the cfg partision. So I added the following file to
rc.d/zpool

#!/bin/sh
#
# $FreeBSD: $
#

# PROVIDE: zpool
# REQUIRE: hostid
# BEFORE: zvol
# KEYWORD: nojail

. /etc/rc.subr

name="zpool"
rcvar="zfs_enable"
start_cmd="zpool_start"
required_modules="zfs"

zpool_start()
{
        if [ ! -z "$zpool_cache" -a -r "$zpool_cache" ]; then
                zpool import -c $zpool_cache -a
        fi
}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

This works very well for a disk server from USB, CF or mSATA SSD.

I am not sure the BEFORE tag was required to make sure that this is the
first ZFS related script run, before zvol, as zpool is sorted before zvol
but I was not sure exactly how rcorder sorts.

/glz

--On Sunday, 20 May, 2012 10:41 AM -0400 Chris Brennan