FreeBSD Server

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu May 17 20:36:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, 17 May 2012, lpeth wrote:

> FreeBSD
> Dear Sirs;
> I have a 8core, 32 GB ram server I built myself. AMD cpu, with Supermicro
> motherboard. I want to use FreeNAS as a database system, and I'm wondering
> what it will cost to use FreeBSD with FreeNAS. I see the Version I would like
> is $40 for a four CD set, but that does not mean I get to use the server
> version of it. What is the server version going  to cost?
> Sincerely,
> Mark T. Evans

FreeNAS is effectively a FreeBSD distribution emphasizing storage. It
is open source and free of cost:

   http://www.freenas.org/

The CDs are nice, but you can download an ISO also. iXSystems have
TrueNAS, which is costly. My understanding is that FreeNAS is a subset of
TrueNAS. See:

   http://www.ixsystems.com/storage/ix/truenas/

for more information.

Daniel Feenberg