Network Cards Compatibility

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 17 15:39:07 UTC 2012

On 17/05/2012 16:11, Christian ROUSSEAU wrote:
>                       I would like to have a list of the free bsd compatible
> network cards . Is it compatible with realtek chipset drivers. That comes
> with most PC's?

Realtek cards generally use the re(4) driver:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=re

Note that the list of different network cards in that page is not
exhaustive: it's just some variants that are known to work.  Most cards
using one of the referenced chipsets should work.

Note 2: "work" in the context of realtek chipsets means that they will
work fine for personal usage levels.  Don't expect realtek NICs to be
able to drive your webserver continually pumping out several megabits
per second.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--