AFS install

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Tue May 15 04:51:08 UTC 2012

Hi Jerry,

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed AMD64 FreeBSD 8.3 on a new machine a couple of days ago.
> It seems fine so far.
>
> This afternoon I tried to install OpenAFS 1.6.0 on it from
>  /usr/ports/net/openafs
>
> The configure ran happily and I didn't notice any errors.
> But, the make died soon after starting with the following complaints.
>
>  make: don't know how to make ./param.amd64_fbsd_83.h. stop
>  *** Error code 2
>
>  Stop in /usr/ports/net/openafs/work/openafs-1.6.0.
>  ** Error code 1
>
> I presume that means that it does not know about FreeBSD 8.3 yet.

That's right; the OpenAFS build system has lots of history behind it,
which means that it is not particularly elegant at handling this sort of
thing.

> I rummaged around in the README it left in the ../work directory
> and saw a bunch of AMD64 versions up to 8.1 (and even 9.0) but
> not 8.2 or 8.3.   I noticed in the Makefile where it says:
>  IGNORE= Supports FreeBSD 8.0 and later
> I am not sure how that plays in it.   I am definitely not a make hacker.
>
> Anyway, is there a good tinker to get past this
> or do I have to wait until something gets updated in the port?
>
> Or, did I just do something stupid?

No fault on your end; I need to push in updates for 8.3 and 10.0 support
but have been busy with schoolwork.
For now, if you're up for a little bit of tinkering, you could go in to
/usr/ports/net/openafs and 'make clean && make extract', then:
cd work/openafs-1.6.0/src/config && cp param.amd64_fbsd_82.h param.amd64_fbsd_83.h
and continue with the usual make install, etc., in
/usr/ports/net/openafs/.
If that still does not compile/run, please send me the build log (or
dmesg -a output if a runtime failure) and I will look at it.

> By the way, I need just the client.   I do not intend to start
> a server or a cell on this machine.  I just need to talk to the
> cell at work.   Is there a way of only installing the client?
> (I think the client is the biggest part, but still, do not need
> the server part hanging around if it would work happily that way)

The upstream OpenAFS build system is not condusive to just building the
client; I have asked about this.  It is fairly easy to just build the
server, but since my interest was mostly in the client I did not add an
option for doing so.

Thanks for the report, and sorry to have been so slow at catching up to
8.3/10.0.

-Ben Kaduk