kernel configuration file

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon May 7 21:21:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012 15:01:31 -0500 (CDT), Robert Bonomi wrote:

> Bernt Hansson <bah at bananmonarki.se> wrote:
> > 2012-05-06 20:23, Robert Bonomi skrev:
> >
> > > Including *every* loadable module, whether or not you actually use it.
> >
> > That's not really true, at least not for me, and I have not made any
> > changes to the build environment. The loadable module that I actually
> > use is bktr.ko, that one among others does not get built.
>
> I'd guess that bktr.ko is a 'third-party' module, found in a port, and not
> part of the base system.

No, it's part of the base system. I've been using bktr _in_ kernel
for many years (FreeBSD 5 and 7), but since 8.0, it does not build
anymore. However, the module _does_ correctly build.

The documentation is in "man 4 bktr".

A typical use (with the PAL option, because I don't have
"Never The Same Color" here), did work in the past like this:

	device	bktr
	options	BROOKTREE_SYSTEM_DEFAULT=BROOKTREE_PAL
	options	BKTR_USE_PLL
	options	BKTR_GPIO_ACCESS
	options	BKTR_USE_FREEBSD_SMBUS

Today, I need to use /boot/loader.conf with those entry

	bktr_load="YES"

Works for my Haupauge WinTV PCI video + tuner card, even
the options (PAL) seem to magically work! :-)

> I found that every loadable kernel module in the base system is, or at least
> "was", rebuilt.

That's correct so far. Additionally, all components specified
by the kernel configuration file will be rebuilt, which in case
of _no_ alteration is the content of GENERIC. As I said, there
may be parts that one can safely drop (e. g. WLAN, floppy, ISDN
or sound for a server).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany