kernel configuration file

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 6 13:58:52 UTC 2012

On 06/05/2012 14:34, Carmel wrote:

>>> Is there a way that I can simply compile it into the kernel? Would a:
>>>
>>> device   cuse4bsd    # Required by webcamd
>>>
>>> entry in the kernel file work? I cannot find any documentation on
>>> that.

cuse4bsd is a third party module.  This means that the sources aren't
available as part of the base system, so making work as compiled-in code
in the kernel will require you to create patches for your kernel source
tree.  Not impossible, but not trivial either.  I don't know if hps@ has
any plans to import it into the base system (I doubt it though), but it
would only appear a few releases down the line even if he did.

> OK, now you lost me. I use the following basic sequence:
>
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=CARMEL
> make installkernel KERNCONF=CARMEL
> make installworld
>
> I am sorry, but I am not fully comprehending what commands you want me
> to enter.

If you don't update the system sources, then you can try a new kernel
config without rebuilding world all the time.  Like so:

  make buildkernel KERNCONF=CARMEL
  make installkernel KERNCONF=CARMEL
  shutdown -r now

Just (re)building the kernel takes a lot less time than rebuilding the
entire base system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--