Off topic: NetBSD or OpenBSD for Alpha server ?

Outback Dingo outbackdingo at gmail.com
Fri May 4 21:16:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 04:45:17PM -0400, Outback Dingo wrote:

>> QNX will not run on the Alpha architecture, freeBSD 6.4 in my opinion
>> is still the far better choice for anything alpha
>> the only other thing i would recommend oin that platorm would be
>> OpenVMS from the hobbyist kit. But then again
>> I only run real Operating systems on my Alphas :)
>
> 6.4 is way past EOL. It's irresponsible to recommend it.
> I've run VMS on Alphas for several years,
> there's nothing wrong with it. Indeed,
> it's very good. Plus VMS Alpha is
> highly optimised. You are unlikely to
> get a similar performance from any other
> OS on this architecture.

not sure about "irresponsible" its the only real obvious choice
and im not sure there isnt capability to rebuild the world to a later
FreeBSD version
though not sure how late a version, even though supports been
"dropped" doesnt mean
it cant be bought up to 7X or 8x ... the codes still in the tree, and
its simply a trial and error rebuild

does anyone know what the latest buildable FreeBSD would be on alpha
and what model alpha.... could be 9x for all we know,
though unlikely. and VMS may rock but even more legacy the 6.4.......
though tried and true i agree.