Performance and mouse problems

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Wed May 2 17:40:25 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2 May 2012 13:19:05 -0400 (EDT)
doug at safeport.com articulated:

>On Wed, 2 May 2012, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 May 2012, Albert Shih wrote:
>>
>>> I think the problem is indeed comme from Xorg.
>>
>> Just to repeat: on this Gateway notebook, only one or the other of
>> the touchpad or mouse would work until I enabled moused
>> in /etc/rc.conf. Now either or both work, including when the USB
>> mouse is connected after X starts.
>
>My experience corresponds with Warren's thoughts on this. I was
>running the exact levels of software on an old Dell 800Mhz desktop and
>new aDell laptop many many times faster, 4 cpu's etc, etc. HAL (which
>is well named I think) did not work very well on the laptop and I
>would lose the mouse and keyboard when I disabled the touchpad. On the
>Desktop HAL worked fine. The laptop (keyboard and mouse anyway) works
>fine without HAL.

HAL is now deprecated on GNU/Linux systems. Why it is still being kept
on life support in FreeBSD is the question that needs to be addressed.
This didn't just happen yesterday either. We continue to bump version
numbers yet fail to repair/replace crucial elements of the
operating system. What is even better, depending on whose forum you
choose to read, the problem is FreeBSD -- Linux -- Gnome -- KDE -- "The
Cat in the Hat" (no one has blamed Microsoft for this fiasco as far as
I know) yet the problem still exists. Since 2008, when HAL was being
deprecated, no one has properly addressed the problem. Everyone plays
the "blame game".

--
Jerry ♔