localhost not recognised in getaddrinfo(3) in FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 14:48:20 UTC 2012

#define MYPORT         4321

char                port[10];
snprintf(port, sizeof(port), "%d", MYPORT);

error = getaddrinfo("localhost", port, &hints, &res0);

Pls note, using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost works. But I prefer to use localhost.

> Failing that, this is almost certainly a configuration snafu on your
> 9.0-STABLE box.
>
> Does this machine have an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts ? Can it
> resolve localhost via the DNS? Or through any other means such as NIS or
> LDAP?
>
> What does:
>
>     % getent hosts localhost
>
> return?

$ getent hosts localhost
127.0.0.1         localhost  localhost.my.domain ftp.sam511.lan

> If that fails, sanity check /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf

group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns