Performance and mouse problems

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Tue May 1 11:32:12 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 05:19:35PM +0200, Jerome Herman wrote:

> Short answer : I am a proud member of the "HAL and DBus are evil" group.
> Middle answer : HAL and DBus were made, maintained and tuned with pretty
> much nothing but Linux in mind. As a result they hardly play well with
> other OS, and will tend to play worse as the time goes by.  In fact
> general opinion is that HAL never truly worked under Linux either, it is
> now officially deprecated.

I fully agree and propose a slightly longer answer « by example » because
I just got rid of hald and dbus, and I am very happy with the following
configurations for both my desktop and laptop machines.

/boot/loader.conf on both:
--
ums_load="YES"
--

rc.conf on desktop: # Note that moused_enable is set to NO
		    # by /etc/default/rc.conf !

# See rc.conf(5) and /etc/default/rc.conf
# for default and non-default moused settings.
#
moused_ums0_flags="-a 0.3"    # decelerate Labtec mouse
--

rc.conf on laptop:
--
# Next line required after switching locale from iso-8859-15 to utf-8
scrnmap="us-ascii_to_cp437"

# See rc.conf(5) and /etc/default/rc.conf
# for default and non-default moused settings.
#
moused_enable="YES"     # touchpad on laptops
moused_flags="-3"
moused_ums0_flags=""    # non-default moused
--

xorg.conf on both:
--

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection
--

The following configures the keyboard map under X with
the option for typing all sorts of non-ascii characters.

.xinitrc on desktop:
--
setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -option compose:ralt
--

.xinitrc on laptop:
--

That works on 8.2-RELEASE-p3.