Off-Topic: Computing for the Blind

Barbara La Scala bfls at netspace.net.au
Fri Mar 30 04:12:46 UTC 2012

Many thanks to everyone who contacted me, either directly or through the list.  I now have
plenty of places and ideas to check out to help get my stepfather online.  At the moment,
I'm leaning towards getting him a Mac (since it has a "real" operating system under the
hood) and a suite of text/keyboard friendly apps.

Since I've starting looking into this I've come to realise how much having good eyesight is
taken for granted, what with context sensitive menus, touch screens and the (ab)use of
Flash.  Be kind to your retinas and corneas.  They are more useful than you might realise.

Thanks again for all the help.
Barbara