need info builing ports properly

icemac icemaca at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:35:24 UTC 2012

On 03/28/12 18:52, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 28/03/2012 15:40, icemac wrote:
>> At the moment my /etc/make.conf just has 1 line with the Perl version
>> entry, should i always leave cflags out?
> I think that not setting CLFAGS would be sensible.  There's plenty of
> other stuff you can fiddle with in /etc/make.conf or /etc/src.conf if
> that's what interests you.  OTOH, the default settings are pretty good
> and leaving well alone will help you get a put together a stable and
> reliable system without excessive pain.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Ok, i get it now thanks to these replies.

I wasn't after fiddling or optimizing much and just want to to build
ports i need and have them as reliable and stable as possibile, but i
misunderstood the function of that setting in make.conf.

I actually had thought that that was required and in turn assumed, ( in
retrospect) , that the defaults would be more aggressive and that that
setting would restrict any wild optimization.

also didnt realize it was an override to all.

thanks.

p.s. So this was probably the reason for my flakey setups?