Vivaldi Tablet

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Mar 27 23:23:45 UTC 2012

On 03/28/12 08:03, Open Slate wrote:
> Jumping in a bit late. I have had a goal of FreeBSD on a slate/tablet
> computer for roughly ten years. The comments in this thread echo my
> experience. Put simply, the primary focus of FreeBSD has been as a server.
> The Gnome team has worked hard to bring the OS to the desktop, with limited
> success.
>
> There are many things required before my slate concept can be realized.
>
>      o power management
>      o pen digitizer interface
>      o HWR
>      o pen friendly UI comparable to Newton OS
>      o components that support a self-made (maker) approach to the hardware
>
> I still hold on to my goal. No telling when enough people will get
> interested.
+1

I'm not sure the pen interface is particularly necessary, but the touch
screen should be able to handle both pen and finger touch.

Another thought is in the apps to be used with the tablet- obviously
they need to be binary packages, so that presents another problem there
(as has come up on this list many times).

As for the last, I have yet to find a "whitebox" laptop (particularly
AMD based); apart from the dev kits I haven't seen any "whitebox"
tablets either.

> On Mar 27, 2012 9:46 AM, "Gary Kline"<kline at thought.org>  wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:28:50AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:28:50 +1000
>> From: Da Rock<freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au>
>> Subject: Re: Vivaldi Tablet
>> To: Chuck Swiger<cswiger at mac.com>
>> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>         you guys have any thoughts about a tiny {7"} keyboard
>         plugin?  i'm wondering if my VBC project might work with
>         this tablet.  i've never seen a keyboard that small.  nice
>         tablet, tho.
>
>         gary
>
>         PS: i keep looking for tablets with a real keyboard.  not
>         very much.  So far... .
Isn't that the point of a tablet? To touch rather than type? Otherwise
it becomes just a disjointed laptop... :)