Still having trouble with package upgrades

Nikola Pavlović nzp at riseup.net
Thu Mar 8 07:10:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:04:35PM -0500, David Jackson wrote:

> > > pkg-add -r does not seem to be an "upgrade all packages" sort of feature
> > > am looking for. I have tried pkg-upgrade, portmaster, and portupgrade,
> > all
> > > of these do not work.
> >
> > The portupgrade -PP command should be fine, if your ports
> > tree is up to date.
> >

> portupgrade -PP did not work for me, it gave me error messages about failed
> downloads.

Assuming you were trying on a RELEASE:

Packages for a RELEASE are frozen.  Since, most of the time, versions in
ports tree are newer than the frozen ones, naturally, you'll get the error
about failed download(s) (disregarding that in addition to that you might
have proxy problems etc. that others have mentioned).  Packages built against
STABLE are generally up to date, and you can safely use them with the
corresponding RELEASE.  To do that, change the PACKAGESITE environment
variable as described in
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/packages-using.html
and pkg_fetch(1).

--
Once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's hard to get it back in.
		-- H. R. Haldeman