Anatomy of Perfomance tests

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Fri Jun 29 08:53:16 UTC 2012

Most probably all filesystems were used with defaults.

MAYBE softupdates, but not even sure for this. Compare this to linux which
is async-like. Comparing with UFS+async would be more fair.

Still - FreeBSD default MAXPHYS in param.h is far too low. i change it to
2048*1024 (default is 128*1024) and improvement on handling large files
is huge. I run that setting everywhere. No problems.

I already talked about it on forum but was ignored.

As for scientific processing it should not depend much from OS at all, but
for sure it depends on crappy compiler that Juniper wanted...