Cannot mount storage drive in workstation

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 28 20:42:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:06:53 -0400, Lynn Steven Killingsworth wrote:
> Then I rebooted a couple of times.

That doesn't provide _any_ help to the problem. :-)

> This is the message from Dolphin
> "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: /dev/ada1s1a:
> Operation not permitted"
>
> My familiarity is the online handbook presently.
>
> So can you tell me where to start?

Check all permissions that are involved: To mount a device, the
user who mounts must have +w access to the device and own the
target directory. Check overriding options in /etc/devfs.conf
and /dev/devd.conf. Also check the vfs.usermount sysctl variable.
Finally, it would be good to check this first outside of the GUI,
e. g. login as user and perform the mount command. At this occassion,
check the content of /etc/fstab.

If it fails, please provide a command line you tried together with
the full error message for better diagnostics.

Also ask yourself: Do you want the storage drive mounted all the
time, from system start? In this case, adjust /etc/fstab accordingly.
If not, make sure all the components that X involves are set up
properly. I know this seems to be more confusing than all the
system-level settings.

Finally relapse to the Handbook again and check the results of all
the steps described.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany