portupgrade -- is there a way to only build and update ports that actually NEED it?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 22:08:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 00:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm presently in the process of trying to do a portupgrade from
> rt-3.8.8 to 3.8.13.  By all estimations, this is a minor bump.
>
> Already, I've encountered several annoyances due to ABI changes, such
> as the libtool2.4 fun.  With normal portupgrade, this forces you to
> go fix the dependent port.

I don't know what you mean by that

> Finally, I just applied -r, which should update all dependent
> packages, but it seems to upgrade them unconditionally.

That's because the revisions numbers will have been bumped, it's
nothing to do with portupgrade.

> Ergo, I've since built a new version of perl, a new verion of python,
> rebuilt every perl module on the system, am presently rebuilding
> apache22, and I'm sure the system will turn around and require me to
> rebuild postgres real soon.
>
> You would think there's an option to portupgrade that says "don't
> upgrade every single package I've got,

Firstly it doesn't. Secondly no one is forcing you to do this, if you
want to go through the ports and work out which need an update and which
don't then portupgrade will let you do that.