portupgrade -- is there a way to only build and update ports that actually NEED it?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Jun 25 07:54:40 UTC 2012

Hey there,

I'm presently in the process of trying to do a portupgrade from rt-3.8.8
to 3.8.13.  By all estimations, this is a minor bump.

Already, I've encountered several annoyances due to ABI changes, such as
the libtool2.4 fun.  With normal portupgrade, this forces you to go fix
the dependent port.

Finally, I just applied -r, which should update all dependent packages,
but it seems to upgrade them unconditionally.

Ergo, I've since built a new version of perl, a new verion of python,
rebuilt every perl module on the system, am presently rebuilding apache22,
and I'm sure the system will turn around and require me to rebuild
postgres real soon.

You would think there's an option to portupgrade that says "don't upgrade
every single package I've got, but if somewhere in the dependency chain I
need a newer version of a thing, then do it."

Am I just missing it in the manpages, or does such a thing really not
exist?

-Dan

--

"You recreate the stars in the sky with cows?"

-Furrball, March 7 2005, on Katamari Damacy