seems i cannot fully understand {/,/usr/local/}/etc/rc.d/*

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 20 09:09:55 UTC 2012

On 20/06/2012 09:51, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> Create a new file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/precedence with the following
>> contents:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> #
>> # Persuade vboxheadless to start before samba.
>>
>> # PROVIDE: precedence
>> # REQUIRE: vboxheadless
>> # BEFORE: samba
>>
>> :
>>
>> Make it executable.  Note -- the ':' does seem to be necessary.
>>
> thank you for help. I will test it when being on place and could reboot.
>
> But still - do you know why it is necessary?
>
> cannot i just add BEFORE: samba in vboxheadless?

Yes, that should work too.  However any time you update vboxheadless
you'll have to remember to add that modification back to the rc script.
 Using a separate file stops that being a problem.

If you want to test that your changes are having the desired effect
without having to reboot:

   # rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*

which will print out the order all the rc-scripts would be run.  (It
includes all the scripts, not just the ones enabled in /etc/rc.conf, but
that shouldn't matter.)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--