(Free 7.2) "su -l" didnt prompt password.Is it possbile?

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 14:32:31 UTC 2012

On Jun 18, 2012 2:34 PM, "Budnev Vladimir" <vladimir.budnev at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> We'v noticed some strange situation. After reboot and login, system
didn't ask for password while switchig with su -l.

> In details, there was root login from terminal and one from ssh.
> Terminal login was directly as root(via ip-console), and ssh was as user,
then attemped switch to root with su -l, and there were NO password
request,no prompt at all. At the same time login from terminal accepted
root password, first I thought that means password wasn't empty, but system
even with empty password should print "Password:"..and that time it was
nothing absolultey.

Empty password behaviour is for no prompt, so what you are seeing is
normal, and means that you did indeed have a empty password.

Check your logs very carefully over the past few weeks to make sure no one
has broken in.

Chris