hwpstate0 set frequency err 6

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Jun 14 18:22:32 UTC 2012

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 419, Issue 9, Message: 2
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:33:49 -0400
Lynn Steven Killingsworth <blue.seahorse.syndicate at gmail.com> wrote:

 > This is the fourth time I have installed FreeBSD while learning the in's and
 > out's.  I have a new mainboard this time (ASUS M5A97 EVO + AMD FX 8120.)

 > I have set up dual booting because of a few legacy apps.  When the boot of
 > OS gets to the login prompt I begin to get the error message 'hwpstate0 set
 > frequency err 6'

 > During installation my super-workstation started to run as though it were
 > getting the absolutely maximum stress test.  The fans on my new Corsair H80
 > started to whine as well.  The 'stress test' effect starts the three next
 > times I have booted so I am not booting into FreeBSD at the moment.

 > Any advice?

Only that it seems perhaps similar or related to some threads in May on
freebsd-stable@ subject: "[stable 9] broken hwpstate calls" that may or
may not have yet resulted in a patch you could try.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-May/thread.html

Thread continues in June, as a perhaps more general p-state discussion.

 > Thanks Lynn Steven Killingsworth

cheers, Ian