any way to grab just One port to upgrade?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Tue Jun 12 00:31:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 06:14:52PM -0400, Robert Simmons wrote:
> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:14:52 -0400
> From: Robert Simmons <rsimmons0 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: any way to grab just One port to upgrade?
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > it is easy to cvs or cvsup ports and get a whole slew of ports in
> > /usr/ports/distfiles, but too often, using portmaster [or another
> > tool], I'll have only one of two ports that fail because they are
> > either 1) broken, or 2) out of date.  is there any way I can grab
> > just the ones that fail to compile?  I'm down to fewer than 50
> > ports.
> > and wedged.
>
> You don't want to have /usr/ports out of sync.  You want to let
> cvsup/portsnap do it's thing.  It's ideal to have the whole ports
> collection up-to-date.  You may want to start with a clean slate and
> cvsup/portsnap a fresh copy of the ports collection if you think that
> something is amiss.  You can make a backup of /usr/ports for peace of
> mind too.
>
> Also, can you please supply exactly what ports you're talking about
> and what commands you are running to upgrade?  Error output for the
> ports you say are broken would be another good thing to supply.

	something in x11-toolkits/gtk20 blew up.  SOOOO.
	lolngstoryshrt, I rebuilt from scratch [[ from the very
	beginning ]] around 2 hours ago.  it Just died.  here are
	the last 20 lines::

gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/work/gtk+-2.24.6/modules'
Making all in demos
gmake[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/work/gtk+-2.24.6/demos'
/usr/local/bin/gdk-pixbuf-csource --raw --build-list            \
        apple_red  ./apple-red.png      \
                gnome_foot ./gnome-foot.png     \
        > test-inline-pixbufs.h                         \
|| (rm -f test-inline-pixbufs.h && false)
failed to load "./apple-red.png": Couldn't recognize the image file
format for file './apple-red.png'
gmake[2]: *** [test-inline-pixbufs.h] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/work/gtk+-2.24.6/demos'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20/work/gtk+-2.24.6'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20.
root at ethic:/tmp#

	unless this port is known to be broken, I'll cvsup the ports
	tree.

     Voice By Computer (for Universal Access): http:/www.thought.org/vbc
          The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
             Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.