How do I determine support for $xx?

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Fri Jun 8 17:06:25 UTC 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Devin Teske wrote:

> Hi Rick (!),
>
> On Jun 8, 2012, at 8:07 AM, Rick Miller wrote:

[snip]

>> I browsed the source and found many references to the BCM5719 and
>> BCM5720.  However, I am unfamiliar enough with driver programming in C
>> to identify if a controller is fully supported.

[snip]

> If you were running, say, 8.0-R, even if you have the bge(4) driver loaded, you would see this in /var/run/dmesg.boot:
>
> 	pciN: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1106, dev=0x165f) at X.Y

Correction, (specific to BCM5720) you'd see:

	pciN: <unknown card> (vendor=0x14e4, dev=0x165f) at X.Y

Which, btw, you can confirm to yourself by executing the following within 8.3-R (with attached bge(4)):

$ pciconf -lv | awk '/^bge/{print $1,$4}'
bge0 at pciN:A:B:C: chip=0x165f14e4

Otherwise, you can see an unknown (non-working bge(4)) Broadcom BCM5720 hardware by executing (on 8.0-R for example):

$ grep unk /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep 0x14e4
pciN: <unknown card> (vendor=0x14e4, dev=0x165f) at X.Y

NOTE: On a system where all hardware is probed/attached, "grep unk /var/run/dmesg.boot" should not produce any results. In this case, pciconf is your tool for probing vendor/device IDs.

> NOTE: Insert random numbers for "N", and "X.Y"
>
> How you know that 8.3-R's bge(4) driver supports the BCM5720 is because this source file:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bgereg.h?annotate=1.83.2.35.2.1
>
> NOTE: I specifically pointed you at CVS instead of SVN so that you can see the version tagged for 8.3-R
>
> Specifically, this line:
>
> 	2309: #define        BCOM_DEVICEID_BCM5720           0x165F

[snip]

--
Devin