Is this something we (as consumers of FreeBSD) need to be aware of?]

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Jun 7 05:27:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 03:05:00PM -0400, Jerry wrote:

> I don't know of any user personally who purchased a new PC and then
> threw FreeBSD on it. Most users that I have come into contact with use
> 2+ year old units that have been replaced by shiny new Windows units. I
> don't see that changing anytime soon.

I have immediately installed FreeBSD on the last four or five laptops I
purchased, and I get most of my laptops direct from Lenovo.  While my
Significant Other has been installing Debian on her laptops, also
acquired from Lenovo, she is probably going to start using FreeBSD
instead next time.  I know several other people who install FreeBSD on
their new primary-use systems when they get them, including a couple of
developers who do MS Windows development (among other things).  This
doesn't even take into account the servers many of us use, which are even
more likely to get FreeBSD installed, and none of this has anything to do
with corporate accounts or bulk purchases.

Yes, my evidence is anecdotal, but I think your notions of the frequency
of FreeBSD use other than in a corporate setting are also based on
anecdotal observations, so we're even.