Which FreeBSD for Intel i7-2600S and DQ67SWB3?

Thomas Mueller mueller23 at insightbb.com
Thu Jun 7 03:33:37 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com>

I have a new computer with an Intel i7-2600S processor and DQ67SWB3
motherboard that I'd like to run with ZFS, virtual machine host,
desktop, Samba, and terminal server (on second NIC).

Can this be done with FreeBSD; if so, which distribution and
ports/packages do I need?
-----

My response, from awkward Insight webmail interface:

This looks like the processor I have, I think you would use amd64.  Almost certainly your system is 64-bit as opposed to 32-bit.

For a new computer, I wouldn't go with anything earlier than FreeBSD 9.0, and in my case, upgrading to 9.0-STABLE proved stabler than the 9.0 release.

Base system includes ZFS.  I've never used virtual machines, but VirtualBox is popular for this purpose.  Samba is in ports.

I don't recognize or don't remember DQ67SWB3 motherboard model, is it from MSI?

Tom