Why Clang

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 18:08:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2012 10:32 AM, "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean at speakeasy.org> wrote:
> >
> > Has the discussion on why change to clang been made available?
> >
> > I would like to know the reasoning.
> >
> > Or, is it simply a gratuitous  change?
> >
> > Tom Dean
>
> i believe it at least partially has to do with license. FreeBSD does not
> "ship" (maybe correct word?) with any GPLv3 licensed software.
>
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

Because  commercial companies using FreeBSD in their proprietary products
are NOT willing to use
GPL v3 licensed software due to severe restrictions which commercial
companies can NOT fulfill in their proprietary products .

If FreeBSD uses GPL v3 software in its production , it will lost commercial
company  supporters and users base .

This my understanding from previously read messages .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk