umount device busy

Gary Aitken freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Mon Jun 4 07:56:59 UTC 2012

On 06/03/12 21:05, Polytropon wrote:

> Good idea. However, you can do efficient backups of "Windows"
> data by using the "ntfsprogs" tools. This makes sure they can
> even be read under non-"Windows" systems.

I'll look into that.

>>> if you are using xfce4, then you have most likely got gamin
>>> running as well, this caused the same problem for me when
>>> trying to umount an external USB drive
>>
>> gamin *is* installed, and I did have the file browser up and
>> using it to look at the ntfs disk.  I thought it might be
>> holding a file open, so first I backed it out to something
>> not on the ntfs disk, then exited it.  Made no difference.
>
> Maybe the ganim "lock" is regarding a device file? Not sure
> about that, I'm not using it here.

I'm not sure what the deal is here, but exiting X does solve the problem.  I didn't try just killing the environment by shutting down the wm and leaving X up, but if I forget and do something like that again I'll try to remember to try it.

>> In any case, the mount was done after X was started, and switching
>> vtys crashes X so I don't do that.
>
> That sounds a bit wrong...

Agreed, but I saw someone else was having a similar problem with 9.0 release a bit earlier on a system, and no problem with 8.3.  At least I think that was it.  Hmmm, just looked and there's a firefox-bin.core and an xfce-appfinder.core.  Timestamps look about right for when I did a vty switch.

> Typo maybe? A command like "ps2ascii" sounds more reasonable if
> we consider PS being the output format. The command

duh.  need sleep.

thanks.