Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Sun Jun 3 05:42:50 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Daniel Staal <DStaal at usa.net> wrote:

> I will agree that ZFS could use a good worst-case scenario 'fsck' like tool.

Worst-case scenario?  That's when fsck doesn't work.  Quickly followed
by a sinking feeling.

> ZFS can be a complicated beast: It's not the best choice for a single,
> small, disk.  It may take tuning to work to it's full potential, and it's
> fairly resource-intensive.  However, for large storage sets there is no
> other file system out there at the moment that's as flexible, or as useful,
> in my opinion.

I don't even see the point of using it as a root drive.  But this
thread is about large file servers,  and I wouldn't seriously consider
using anything but ZFS.

NO filesystem has a mean time to data loss of infinity.  If your disk
traffic is primarily uncacheable random reads, you might be better off
with mirrored disks.  I guess that's what the traffic is like at the
internet cafe where Wojciech serves coffee. ;-) I tend to use RAIDZ-2
or RAIDZ-3 for most large installations.