Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?

Oscar Hodgson oscar.hodgson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:48:50 UTC 2012

Thank you for bringing up this topic.

We've got significant experience with both UFS and ZFS (as delivered
by Solaris).  Our internal testing has shown that UFS provides
significantly better throughput, roughly 20% to 30% higher in general,
and 50% higher in some specific use cases.

My internal customer prefers ZFS's 'end-to-end' reliability guarantee
to the higher throughput of UFS.

(What's really interesting though is that he's really a long-time
Linux fan at heart ... and we are now discussing FreeBSD due to its
ZFS support.  A Linux hardware RAID solution is not presently on the
table).

ZFS really is entirely different than UFS.  In 2005 Bonwick put out a
presentation roughly titled, "ZFS the last word in file systems".
I've used those materials on a number of occasions to help explain the
difference between ZFS and prior generation file systems.