bsdinstall to jail aborted (9.0-RELEASE-p3, amd64)

Matthias Petermann matthias at d2ux.net
Sat Jul 28 10:14:54 UTC 2012

Hello,

currently I experienced an unexpected behavior of the FreeBSD bsdinstall installer. Some weeks ago I could use it sucessfully to create a jail environment with

# bsdinstall jail /jails/myjail

Today I tried to repeat this on another system(2) and it fails after the selection of the to-be-used mirror. Also re-trying it on the original system(1) leads to an error but a different one. Since then I upgraded from 9.0-RELEASE to 9.0-RELEASE-p3 using freebsd-update.

Here are the symptoms:

(2) FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 amd64: After typing "bsdinstall..." it brings me directly to the mirror selection list, but after selecting a mirror it aborts with an error message "An installation step has beeen aborted. Would you like to restart the installer or exit the installer?"

(1) FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 i386: After typing "bsdinstall..." it brings me to the distribution select dialog. After selection of the distribution set, it shows the mirror selection dialog. After selecting a mirror it aborts with a fetch error "Error while fetching /base.txz: Invalid URL scheme"

I tried different mirrors, too. And they all seem to be basically online - pointing an FTP client to them showed no errors.

So what am I doing wrong? Does bsdinstall maintain some hidden configuration file which may influence its behavior? The environment variables mentioned in bsdinstall(8) are not set on both systems. Or is there a known issue with 9.0-RELEASE-p3 which appears different on amd64 and i386 systems?

It would be great if anyone could validate this.

Kind regards,
Matthias

--
Matthias Petermann <matthias at d2ux.net>