how to speed up port make??

Ryan Noll rnoll.bsd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:04:29 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Jul 25, 2012 7:34 PM, "Chad Perrin" <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
> You kids have got it easy.  I used to have to compile by hand with a pair
> of tweezers, bar copper wire, a magnifying glass, and a potato with two
> pieces of metal stuck in it as a power source.

Ha-ha... Ah those were the days..., but does anyone remember the "old" way
of building the kernel in the 2.2.8 days? I was just getting started doing
the basic system setup/admin things in those days. Back then (1998 or so) I
did not have access to broadband, so I did not even update the sources back
then, but I knew that it was a good idea to remove devices from the GENERIC
kernel that I did not have--thanks to the book by Greg Lehey. (Even though
the version of "The Complete FreeBSD" I bought is so out of date I cannot
bring myself to throw it away--it was my guide back in those days.)

Does anyone else remember "The Complete FreeBSD"?