How to get Huawei EC1561 USB modem working under FreeBSD 8.2?

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Wed Jul 25 15:34:59 UTC 2012

Hi

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:21:04 +0530
Manish Jain <bourne.identity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 25-Jul-12 18:53, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:29:07 +0530
> > Manish Jain<bourne.identity at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>
> I tried switching the USB ports and have some information which could
> help you to help me :
>
> usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 dump_device_desc :
> ugen0.2: <HUAWEI Mobile HUAWEI TECHNOLOGIES> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
>
>    bLength = 0x0012
>    bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>    bcdUSB = 0x0110
>    bDeviceClass = 0x0000
>    bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
>    bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
>    bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
>    idVendor = 0x12d1
>    idProduct = 0x140b

This is strange. src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs says this:

product HUAWEI E140B		0x140b	3G modem

This means that your product is supported

Is this line in your usbdevs?

> Now what should my devfs.conf contain ? Currently it contains the
> following :

Mine is empty. Comment all entries out. This might be the problem.

> link cuaU0.0 modem
> own modem root:operator
> perm modem 666
>
> link ugen0.3 usv
> own usv root:operator
> perm usv 666
>
> link cuaU0.1 apcups
> own apcups root:operator
> perm apcups 666
>
> Obviously, these entries are incorrect since neither my modem speaks
> to the internet nor is any signal from the APC UPS recognized. I
> believe once I have the correct devfs entries, the whole system
> should work smoothly. But please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Surprisingly, /etc/usb_modeswitch.d contains no entries for 12d1:140b
> or 051d:*. Do I need to reinstall usb_modeswitch.d ? Or can usbconfig
> configure the devices correctly ? I am no expert here, so if yes, I
> would need the complete commands.

What version of FreeBSD are you using?

> Thanks for any help. I am greatly indebted to FreeBSD and its
> philosophy making things 'as simple as possible, but not any simpler'
> - which has helped me learn a great deal about computers in general
> and managing my own computer in particular. But the USB related stuff
> still beats the hell out of me, so I need help here.

There is something very, very simple wrong. I just do not see now what
it is.

I have the feeling that your modem is not recognised while it should be
as it is known to FreeBSD.

> BTW, my system now has the usbdump command (installed from sources
> downloaded from http://biot.com/usbdump/) but no manpage.

You got then a Linux version which might causes more problems that you
need.

Erich