usb identity issue (adds more info)

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Tue Jul 24 00:02:41 UTC 2012

Fbsd8 wrote:
> Al Plant wrote:
>> Adds missing section:
>>
>> Al Plant wrote:

>>> Woj...
>>>
>>> The thumb/flash drive is showing in the dmesg as ad1 but it is not
>>> available to use. It appears the IRQ is blocked by something else.
>>> Either a IOMEGA /zip drive or the fd0. I tried 3 different computers
>>> to test and only one works if nothing else (/dev like fd0 or /zip
>>> drive is hooked up on the mobo.
>>>
>>> One of the techs I work with thinks a lot of mobo's have the same
>>> problem when you have more than one outside /dev is attached.
>>> /Zip and /fd0 work but not /Zip if /flash is attached or plugged in.
>>>
>>> For example on the last computer I have tried one of 5 on an atm
>>> circuit:
>>> The dmesg shows only fd0 normal. The USB0 USB1 and USB2 shows 1> USB3
>>> all connected to a hub on the mobo but only a double USB is
>>> physically useable and hooked to the board. (no way to read any ad*
>>> or da* USB). ad0 is the hd on the box.
>>>
>>> orm0 shows the IOMEGA as isa0 connected with vpI0 (parallel) da0s4.
>>
>> Added:
>>> da1 for /flash is posted on dmesg by the computer but you cant read
>>> the files on the
>> /flash from the screen as you can from /floppy or from /zip .
>>
>> *****
>>> The other 2 computers I tested on are for hardware bench tests and not
>>
>>> on any network.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help.

> You did not say what release of Freebsd you are running.

  On one test box is 10 on the other is 9 and on this one is 8 .

This is 8.
> Pick one pc to test on and report results from that one only.

> Are you saying you have all those devices plugged into individual
> USB ports at boot time?

No. Only HD at boot on any of the test boxes. Then i manually try each.
/dev/fd0 /floppy (Irq6)

/dev/da0s4 /zip Iomega (vpo Zip drive.)

/dev/ad0 WDC (HD)
/dev/acd0 /cdrom

> Are all your USB devices coded in /etc/fstab

Yes.
> What version of USB (1, 2, 3) is your flash drive designed for?

doesnt say on this dmesg. Only shows up when you plug in the /flash
(SanDisk)
> Have you tried different manufactures of flash drives?
Have tried 2 sandisk /flash different series.

> Post your /etc/fstab  dmesg for usb, output of usbconfig command,

The dmesg shows only fd0 normal. The USB0 USB1 and USB2 shows 1> USB3
 >>> all connected to a hub on the mobo but only a double USB is
 >>> physically useable and hooked to the board.

  draw

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >