help about free bsp version netcat to work it on ubuntu

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 23 16:47:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:29:38 +0800, lei yang wrote:
> Yes, the second version I post is using the source from you supplied,
> then I compiled it, but it has no
> "-U" flag like what I post, it seems a version different casued this.

Yes. The version distributed by the ports collection is different
from that one supplied with the base system of FreeBSD.

To try _that_ version, you can download the source tarball and
extract it; in the directory

# wget ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/9.0-RELEASE/src.txz
# tar xvf src.txz
# cd cusr/src/ontrib/netcat/
# ls
FREEBSD-Xlist    FREEBSD-vendor   atomicio.h       netcat.c
FREEBSD-upgrade  atomicio.c       nc.1             socks.c
#
<your build command(s) here>

You can check the FTP server for other versions of the OS
(e. g. different branch and architecture, starting at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/, then selecting
architecture and finally the OS version). There are also
different ways of obtaining the sources, but the solution
shown here should be sufficient.

(You can use "tar xvf src.txz usr/src/contrib/netcat" to
only extract the files for netcat instead of everything,
but it _might_ be possible that the build process needs
some files from other locations.)

If you don't have wget installed, stock "ftp <location>"
command should also work for downloading.

> I don't know where to find the source code in Red Hat.

Me neither, but check "man hier" on a RH system to get
the documentation about the file system hierarchy which
should have detailed information on what is stored where.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany